Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 4 weeks ago

Can a band be considered a rock band if they don't use guitars? ?

You can technically play 'rock music' without guitars, but guitar (specifically - electric guitar) is generally a mainstay of most rock bands.

A lot of bands are disinterested in pigeonholing themselves into a genre (and/or defy easy categorization).

• Smiley

Yes of course. Many keyboard based rock bands have existed that had no guitars as part of their instrumentation. Here's but a few. I know there are many more;  Quatermass, Egg, Supersister, Screamers, Trace, Ekseption, Aardvark, Dr. Z, The United States of America, Atomic Rooster (1st album), The Crazy World of Arthur Brown, Drum Circus, Attila (hard rock w/Billy Joel), etc, etc.

Not by me they can't.

A “rock band” would be a band that played rock. It has nothing to do with the instrumentation. So yes, a band without guitars could still be a “rock band”.

Well this innovator of the genre sure as hell did it without them in 1947. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgdzS4OSQ1M

Youtube thumbnail

No.  You can be in a band with no guitars and you can call it a rock band, but you'll be the only one who thinks it's rock.

Modern synths have VERY lifelike sounding guitars nowadays but no.. not for me.. I need to see a rock guitar with loads of amps for it to be a genuine rock band.