Did you buy an old house?

One of goals in life is to buy an old house with a history. I'm fascinated by the thought of living in a house with everything the same way it was 100 or more years ago. I'm curious to know if anybody here has bought a historic home. What was your experience, good or bad.

I live in a very old house but its been so well maintained and updated that it just feels like a house.  It does have oddities and problems but I like its character.  Definitely unique, even for the block.

nope         .

• Maxi

Yes I purchased a home that was 250 years old, it had been renovated 15 yrs before I purchased it, so of course it was different to how it was built 250 yrs ago and no one today would live in  house as built back as it was then as it wouldn't even have a bathroom, let alone electics or indoor plumbing/heating

yes,

But be prepared to do a lot of upkeeep,

However, those old hosues were often built with a lot better and thicker wood than todays houses.

Old homes and historic homes are two separate things.

In the UK, houses that were built in the 19th century are ten a penny, and a Victorian terraced house can be one of the cheapest properties around. They are old, but they are not historic.

Historic homes have a history to them or they are really old. My friend lived in a fisherman's cottage with the date of 1592 over the front door. That's an historic home. Another friend lives in a house with a thatched roof, which is high maintenance.

Old houses can have more character, but they are less practical and higher maintenance. I grew up in a house that was 17th century, pretty but not practical. It was Grade II listed, so we were restricted in what we could do with it.  The internal walls were such that we were unable to hang heavy bookshelves etc in them, we could not replace the windows with double glazed ones, the ceilings were very low too. There wasn't a straight wall or floor in the place.

But on the good side, it did have original beams downstairs and a coffin drop!

• Tavy

Yes 3 in the U.K. the last one a converted barn.

It's not unusual here to live in old houses.

the same way is very hard to find, most houses have been extensively updated...lizzie borden's house (not where the murders were) is up for sale in massachusetts....even the ones that have kept  primary historic elements, have had to make some upgrades.