Would it cost less to heat my apartment with space heaters? ?

i'm trying to figure out the most cost effective way to heat my new apartment. It's my first winter so I really don't know what heat will end up costing. But it's gas heat, a 1 bdrm apartment with kitchen and separate living room. and obviously the bathroom as well. would it ultimately cost less to use space heaters? how much does that add to the electric bill? 

i should add, i'm working from home a lot now due to covid so i would expect to need the heat on frequently in at least 1 room of the apt during the day. and the kitchen/living room/entry way are open concept, no doors. it ends up being quite a large open area. My thought process was that maybe having a space heater close to my desk, just hot enough to keep me warm might cost me less. anyone else try this before? 

Gas costs less than electric heat.

Space heaters cost more than central heat.

There are so many variables as far as how well is the building insulated, are you on an end unit,  how old are the windows and are they double paned, is the apartment facing north or south, are you on a top floor?

Do what you can to take care of air leaks around your windows. If they are old, you may choose to use a plastic wrap insulator kit. This plastic surrounds your window and is heat shrunk with a blow dryer. You cannot even tell it is there, really.

If you feel air coming from baseboard or window moldings,  caulk to seal the cracks.

Put up lined curtains or Roman Shades. Keep open when sun is shining inside and close to keep warmth and heat inside.

Wear warm clothing and wear thick socks and buy a nice lap/throw blanket. Even wear a hat if you want.

Electric heat cost more than gas heat. But a supplemental electric space heater is a good choice. Do not buy one with a fan as that costs more to run. I Have one that looks like a radiator with oil inside that provides good heat.

If you have wood or tile floors, lay some area rugs.

I turn my oil furnace way low at night and keep warm under a duvet. But, on ultra cold nights, I use a heating blanket.

You will have to live there in order to determine the cost of heat.

99.99% of the time, space heaters are the MOST EXPENSIVE option.

what kind of windows are there? do they effectively shut tight?,,  is the thermostat working properly?  htg,,is it radiant heating? are ducts  on the lower walls? up high?

I would check with your local electricity provider and ask if the price of gas therms go up in the winter months, they do here where I live. I have used electric heaters and it can get pricey real fast. I would turn on the gas heater to a very low setting like 65 and dress real warm and use blankets. Use only one electric space heater in the room you are in. Wear a knit hat and you can purchase these neck warmers that you can heat in your microwave oven and wrap around your neck or use wearever you wish, I found them at the drug store near the pharmacy section, called Bed or Neck Buddy. They work well and last for about 1 1/2 hours. They are filled with a rice or some kind of a grain and hold the heat well. A vest helps, a down filled one or just a thin vest works. Exercise often this will keep you warm. Good Luck!

Each heater will use at least 1500  volts and if you use several it'll not only run up your electric bill but they'll overload your breakers. Gas is cheaper than electricity.

• Tom

GAS heat is more efficient and CHEAPER than ELECTRICITY.  I have the best of both worlds-----My older house has GAS space heaters.----even cheaper than central gas heat.   My gass bills run about 75 a month while when I had central at my last house and apartment the bills ran 150 to 200 a month

gas is much less expensive than electric space heaters

Gas heat is usually cheaper than electric. We can't say for sure if that's so where you live, because prices vary from place to place, but that's the usual thing. In some places, gas heat is way cheaper. I wouldn't rush out and buy a heater. Wait and see what the gas heat costs you. Or see if the gas company can tell you what the bill was for your place last year. Apartments don't usually cost a lot to heat. They're in a  building with other heated apartments around them, unlike a house which has four walls and a roof exposed to the elements and losing heat. It might be more cost-effective to heat yourself while you're working with a heating pad or a heated throw. Or wear a nice thick sweater, warm socks, and tuck a regular blanket over your legs. There is no way to tell you how much you'll pay to run an electric heater. It depends how high you turn it, how many hours you use it, and what you pay per kilowatt hour for your electricity.

• Droopy

electric heat rarely is the more cost effective way.  If you do get space heaters avoid the ones that are electric resistant heat.