Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsInfectious Diseases · 1 month ago

What are the chances of me getting COVID this way?

I was at the mall the other day and I of course touched many surfaces and adjusted my mask with my dirty hands every now and then. I had a cup of water with me and without even thinking, because I was so thirsty, I completely forgot that I had my mask on and went in for a drink. The cup touched the outside of the mask, I pulled the mask down and drank my water out of the same cup. I don’t know if my mouth touched the same spot on the cup that the mask touched or not, but now I’m freaking out. I’ve been having a mild cough and feels like something is bothering my throat, and some sneezing and a little bit of a runny nose. I’m really hoping I didn’t get COVID or catch something else. 

i would go see your doctor if youre worried about it

Depending how wide spread it is localky, you could have caught it this way.

Quarantine yourself for 14 days and if you feel fine after that you're good to go.  I'm guessing you had more exposure at that mall than that cup of water.  So just out of an abundance of caution, as they say, stay away from other folks to ensure you don't spread the virus if you have it.  Remember 40% of the infected don't even have symptoms and most of the others have mild ones and simply recover.