M
M asked in News & EventsMedia & Journalism · 1 month ago

What reading level are most press releases on?

I know they are supposed to be fairly simple but what grade level do you think most would be at? I'm a public relations student so I was wondering.

• Elaine

The reading level of most newspapers is a grade 6 reading level.  Since press releases are for the average person the reading level is no higher than a grade 6.  There may be a few press releases at the grade 8 reading level but that would depend on the content. 

Depends if you are writing for an informed audience:

Journalists are expected to be able to read to a reasonable level

(some authorities recommend no better than third grade - the average) 

whether they can write using the information provided is another matter.

It is not that it needs to be simple (it does) but that it needs to be clear and unambiguous and convey information in a succinct and well-organised way that suits the environment in which is read - so that it finds its way to someone who may write it up - rather than digitally or literally ending up in the trash.

Probably depends on the topic.  Do you mean reading level, Im sure its low. If you mean comprehending content, its a lot higher.   A local former reporter in my area went to work for the power company. His was hired not journalism, but for "making the complex simple".