My twin were born with one placenter, does that means they are identical?

1 placenta usually means yes, they are identical twins, but sometimes placentas can grow so close together that there is what appears to be one big one. Identical twins are twins that form from one original egg, but I’ve heard that two or more embryos can form earlier on in the tubes, that allow for the embryos to implant separately and create thier own placentas and attach separately as they reach the uterus, but they are still formed from one, (identical) egg. I hear that that form of early separation is rarer but possible. I personally know twins who are identical but separated early on after the egg was fertilized, and so by the time they reached their mom’s uterus, they each had their own sacks and placenta’s. They look so much alike that you say that are identical twins, yet there are slight differences to their features since they each developed separately in the uterus and split from the egg earlier on, and yet they were tested genetically to be identical. Hope the info helps you.

Enjoy those beautiful bundles of joy! Such blessings they are!  

I’m sharing a beautiful article with you for new parents below. It’s a free article and very helpful for raising good children in this crazy world all around us. Hope you enjoy it as much as I have. The entire site that it’s from has all sorts of great help for families, with moral help at all stages of life.

Have a wonderful day! And congratulations! :o)

New parenting article; 

https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&docid=1020123... 

It is not diagnostic in and of itself, no.  A shared placenta makes it much more likely that they're identical, but it does not guarantee it.

Doctors generally don't determine identical versus fraternal except in the cases of things like TTTF or DNA testing (which isn't routine, even with twins, but you can request it and probably pay for it out of pocket).   Even twins that share a placenta and look identical may well be fraternal. Also, the babies both being the same sex doesn't guarantee that they're identical either.

I have twin nieces on my husband's side who shared a placenta and look identical, but DNA testing determined they are in fact fraternal.  On the flip side, my sister's twin boys didn't resemble each other until they were a few years old, but as they've grown it's become almost certain they're identical because they fit most of the "mirror image" twin qualifications (with the exception of the extreme cases where even organs are flipped).

Possibly. Dizygotic twins form when two separate eggs combine with two individual sperm. Each embryo develops its own placenta. However, placentas that grow in close proximity sometimes overlap or fuse. When seen on an ultrasound, it might appear to be a single organ.

if they are same gender.. then yes they are identical

• Jill

Placenta. That is usually the case yes.  

I find it very hard to believe that your doctor didn't answer this question when the twins were born. 

Your question does not make sense.