Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

dog breed question?

if a golden retriever and lab retriever breed and they are both purebred will the puppies be purebred?

(im not actually breeding its just a hw question)

19 Answers

Relevance
  • adam
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

no thats a mixed breed. Unless you keep breeding them and get AKC UKC or ADBA to accept it as a breed, For instance the AKC does not recognise the American Pit bull Terrier as a breed but UKC and ADBA does . Why? The APBT is an english bull dog that was crossed with a terrier breed over 100 years ago . Its definately a breed but AKC says its a mixed a breed. UKC and ADBA both say its a breed . I have Colby UKC dogs myself. So yes you can create a new breed by doing that . 

• 4 weeks ago

No, they would be a mixed breed, mutts or mongrels. No specific breed at all. You know respectable breeders would not do that. They spend years and years developing and maintaining the breeds standards not to be ruined by BYB.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

thats not for a layman to answer they wont know. you need to approach the clubs and not just any club.

I can guarentee you you wont find breeders on this forum.

you wont find anyone that knows a thing about animal husbandtry on this forum.

go away. I'm not telling you a thing.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

They'd be mixed dogs aka mutts. The only way to produce purebreds is  by breeding them with the SAME BREED as they are.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

in the USA there is org known as the AKC.....one answer is found there...  if sire and dam are both AKC registered having pedigrees (ancestry) acknowledged by the club, their offspring,  pups are entitled entry, certified, given "papers" and placed in their registry.....this applies only to matings of dogs of the same breed....cross breedings have no merit,  this preserves the integrity of each individual breed and goes back generations...of utmost importance for breeding and showing...

for owners of dogs ineligible, crossbreeds, mutts, parents having no papers, their consolation lies in their dogs affections all most sincerely loved. purebred or not.

• 1 month ago

NO... they will be a mixed breed and that is not pure..

• 1 month ago

No.  When you cross breed two different breeds, it becomes a mutt.

• 1 month ago

No.   In order for puppies to be purebred, the parents have to be purebred dogs of the same breed.

The result in your scenario is a mutt.

No, not a hybrid. A hybrid is a result of crossing different SPECIES. 

• A.J.
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If we accept that Golden Retriever is a different breed from Labrador Retriever then the puppies would be a Retriever hybrid of Golden and Labrador.

The question is only about drawing lines between similar breeds.

I had a Border Collie/Black Lab hybrid. They are not a separate breed and do vary in exact appearance but they were purposely bred as a hybrid, often called a Borador. Some associations accept Borador. When getting the best of both breeds it is an amazing pet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwfBgQjuPqw

Youtube thumbnail

• 1 month ago

No. A purebred is only possible when the same pure breeds are bred together, ie Rottweiler x Rottweiler or golden retriever x golden retriever. 

It’s like a homozygous red rose x homozygous red rose, you get a homozygous red rose. If you cross a homozygous red rose with a homozygous white rose, you get a pink rose which isn’t homozygous.   If you crooks a golden with a lab, you get a mix. It’s not 100% golden and it’s not 100% lab. To be considered a purebred, I think it’s needs upwards of 90% of the specific breed’s genetics. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.