Do I need my HS transcript to apply for colleges if I have college transcripts instead?

I was homeschooled my last 2 years of high school, which was over a decade ago now.

I want to enroll in a trade school, but the home school I was taught through no longer exists and I can't get transcripts from them anymore. Additionally, I lost the diploma they gave me. (would presenting that even suffice in the first place?

Will my past college transcripts be enough? Will that show that I graduated high school, or at least show that I had, at one point, what I needed to enroll into colleges?

And does it matter that I only attended for a few years and didn't graduate from the college?


"How did you get into college without transcripts or a diploma?"

Refer back to: "I had, at one point, what I needed to enroll into colleges"

The home school was still around when I first went to college, and I'm sure my diploma is buried somewhere with a bunch of other paper work I don't regularly go though.

4 Answers

  • DON W
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

    This is a somewhat difficult situation, but probably can be worked out with the trade school.  Happily trade schools can be more flexible than universities in their admissions policies.  Call them and explain the situation.

    Also see if the records from your home school provider were transferred elsewhere once they closed.  Do some googling--sometimes the records are now held elsewhere.

  • drip
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    Are you in the US? How did you get into college without transcripts or a diploma?

    I would send the college transcripts to the trade school. 

  • 1 month ago

    I think high school transcripts are erased after 5 or 10 years but the grade you used to get accepted into college will still appear in the university database somewhere but most likely college credits are enough if they are relevant to the school you want to apply to 

  • fcas80
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    Explain that you were homeschooled your last two years so you have no high school diploma, and ask them to accept your college transcripts.  You are transferring to another college, so that should be fine.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.