Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceOther - Education · 4 weeks ago

My kid says homework is slavery, because it’s unpaid labor. What can I tell him to help him understand that it’s for his benefit?

I don't think homework is slavery, but in some cases it's definitely unnecessary. You should tell him that doing homework helps you understand what you need to learn in order to do tests, especially in high school, even if the information doesn't seem useful to you you'll want to get a good grade in that class to look better in future years. Your goal should be to get a good GPA even if you don't care about the class. 

I'm in high school and we have summative and formative assignments, formative count towards 20% of your grade while summative are 80%. Let's say you get a bad grade on one of your summative assignments, you would definitely want to do good on all of your formative assignments (like homework) so that you don't completely fail. The homework also prepares you for what is going to be on the quizzes and tests. Basically elementary school and middle school are giving you homework to prepare for high school, but that doesn't mean it's not useful to you in those early years!

Hope this helps :)

Tell him to STFU and get on with his homework. He can say what he likes but it counts for fcuk all.