Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCommuting · 2 months ago

Is 30 minutes too far of a commute for work? ?

Would you consider a 30 minute drive too far for work? Or is that about an average commute time?

• Anton

The U.S. Average Commute is 26 minutes -- https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/22/study-states-with-...

Personally, my commute was 15 to 20 minutes from 1970 to 1976.  I got a transfer to an office closer to my home, and for 35 years my commute was 4 miles or less.

I am 80 minutes part of a car pool.  I would jump at the chance to only have 30 minutes.  It really depends too on how you get to work?  Do you drive yourself, with a car pool, or public transportation?

When I am not driving, I enjoy the time to have my morning coffee and cruise the internet on my phone.

I used to have a 45 minute commute by myself, and that wasn't bad on the way to work.  I left at 5:30 am, had my morning coffee and listened to a morning AM news station.  The drive home was tiresome though.

I would not do it if I could avoid it.

Depends on the job, the rate of pay, the time  of day or night, the risk of getting in an accident, how safe your vehicle will be at work, how much that's going to cost out of your pocket, the cost of the wear and tear on your vehicle, and what your other options might be. A truly rational, thinking person weighs and calculates all these things to determine if it is "too far" to be worth it.  

• Robert

Everyone has a different tolerance for commuting.   If you find driving relaxing and the job pays well enough to support the cost of the daily ride, it is not a lot considering what some people do daily.   If you don't like to drive or the job doesn't pay well, that is a different circumstance.  But only you can decide what is right for you

• ?

That's a very normal commute time.

That depends on where you are.

In Sheboygan, it's ridiculous. In NYC, it's pretty decent.

One of our kids has a 45-65 minute commute. She got an Audible subscription and reads at least 90 minutes a day, five days a week, and says she no longer resents or even minds the drive.

• Audrey

Maybe a little far, but if you like the job, it's way worth it!