why is Los Angeles city considered urban?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Andrew
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago
    Favourite answer

urban: "in, relating to, or characteristic of a town or city."

Los Angeles covers more than 500 square miles and is home to about 4 million people, giving it a population density of around 8,500 people per square mile, which is roughly 95 times the national average. 

Less than 8 percent of Los Angeles is comprised of parks and undeveloped areas. It's essentially 500 square miles of concrete sprawl. While there are areas that are more affluent and areas that are poorer, areas that are more spread out and areas that are more congested, it's a city through and through. 

I cannot think of another contiguous chunk of territory anywhere in Anglo North America that's more urban than the Los Angeles Metropolitan Area. Even a place like New York City - which has more than double the population in an area about 60 percent of the space manages to incorporate many more parks - nearly 15 percent of the total area of NYC is parkland compared to LA's measly 8 percent. 

• 4 weeks ago

The word 'urban' is from Latin and means 'city' .

So as a 'city' it is an 'urban' area.

The outer reaches of any city are called 'suburbs'  ( sub-urban) 

• John P
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

The word 'urban' means 'as in a city or large town'. It derives from the Latin word 'urbs', meaning 'city'.

Might I assume that you have a different meaning for 'urban' than I have?

Possibly you are thinking of 'suburban', which refers to the outer parts of a city or large town, where many people live in fairly comfortable surroundings, good housing, with gardens (yards - USA) etc.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.