Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 month ago

Is 38 "more than thrice" of 12?

Am I using "more than thrice'' correctly here?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • John P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

.'..more than thrice 12'. Omit 'of'.

Note that, in modern times in Britain, the word 'thrice' is rarely heard or seen, most people say 'three times' (also not followed by 'of'.)

Note that 'thrice' is not usually seen in contexts of mathematical multiplication, as in your example, but only as in: 'He did that thrice', and: 'That happened more than thrice'. Even those are rare in Britain these days. 

Note that 'twice' is generally used, meaning 'two times'.  Note also no 'of' following 'twice'.

• 4 weeks ago

Yes, you are correct.

• 4 weeks ago

Yes. First off the answer to 12×3=36. So 38 is more.

And the use of the word is right. But this is an archaic word. I' ve never heard it said except in poetry.

Source(s): Native American English speaker.
  • 1 month ago

Yes.  thrice 12 is 36, so 38 is more than thrice twelve.  Same idea as twice, but meaning three times rather than two (thus the thr- beginning rather than a tw- beginning).  It isn't common but it isn't rare either.  I wouldn't call it archaic, because I don't think it was ever more common than now, so it hasn't fallen into disuse so much as was never in huge use.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Thrice has become an archaic word. People now more often say "three times."  Yes, 38 is 2 more than thrice 12.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Not quite, in this construction thrice is 'three of' so omit the 'of' to avoid a tautology

Is 38 "more than thrice" 12?   And indeed it is.

You can also use it as Frankie Howerd used to:  Nay, nay and thrice nay.

• Matt
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

yes....................... 3x12=36 which is less than 38

• geezer
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If you are using the word ''thrice'' then you don't need to say ''of''.

IS 38 MORE THAN THRICE 12 ?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.