Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

Are only child’s lame?

I’ve been an only child my whole life and I know there’s nothing that can be done about it, but I’ve started to realize many things that I’ve never really thought about before. I’ve only known my parents, my family lives in a different country. I never had a family growing up. I’ll never have nieces or nephews. I admit, I can be greedy. I’ll probably end up being alone as an adult unless I get married, if that even happens. If I ever have kids, they won’t have any family from my side other than my parents, which makes me not want to have kids. Due to my parents strictness I never really had any friends, so I feel like a boring isolated person. I’ve never had a relationship. True, I never had to share things, but my parents hardly paid attention to me. All these things are making me feel as though being an only child wasn’t a good thing. Are there any actual advantages to being an only child?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

i dont think so

• 1 month ago

There is nothing wrong with being an only child. Why should you waste your time agonizing about your one and only life.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

When you are old enough to get away from your parents, go live a normal life, have friends, a gf/bf...get married, and enjoy their family.

• Audrey
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

You don't have to attend boring family reunions and gatherings with people you wouldn't have anything to do with it they weren't "related."  Make your own friends of people you REALLY like. I was an only child, I'm 73 now and I've never felt like I missed a thing!

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • El
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Marriage would be the only way to keep you from being alone as an adult even if you had siblings. What, would you be planning to shack up with your sister?

Hardly anyone I know with nieces or nephews see them on a regular basis. I have a niece that's about five or six years old and I've never even met her.

Half of this stuff isn't even about being an only child - like the rest of your family living abroad.

Also, if you did have children, they'd have your husband/wife's family too...

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.