Misty asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 4 weeks ago

why do people eat potato salad?it is made from mustard and mayo mostly so it it extremly fattening for your body.?

• bill

Kraft makes low calorie mayo.

• ?

Don't know where you live, but when I grew up in the upper Midwest, there then were  two types of potato salad, "French" made with lots of mayo and eggs, "German" made with vinegar and other things.  The "French" type was well known for causing Summer food poisoning because of people leaving the potato salad out on the table in the Summer heat. Eggs and mayo which is made with eggs are subject to quick deterioration if not refrigerated. (Don't know about "hard boiled eggs" which can stay un-refrigerated for days).

From what I remember, the "German" potato salad didn't cause as many cases of food poisoning. I don't know if that can be borne out by medical analysis, but that's my observation.

I now live in the German speaking part of Switzerland where the "normal" potato salad is made with lots of mayo. We have to go across the border into Germany to get potato salad with vinegar.

• kelvin

both of those come in low fat

Potato salad is mostly potatoes. 

Mustard is low calorie. 

No food is fattening. Eating too many calories is fattening. 

What??? When I choose to eat potato salad, it is made from potatoes mostly. 

• .

You could ask the same question about a million other foods that are "fattening" if eaten in large quantity, and full of high calorie ingredients.

.

Short answer, because they WANT to. Anything is fine in moderation. Mustard, FYI, is NOT high in calories (not most mustards, anyway). Mayo in moderation is fine to use in salads, salad dressings, or as a sandwich condiment, etc. 

.

I love potatoes and potato salad, pasta salad, chicken salad, green pea salad, sandwiches, etc (that ALL include mayo as an ingredient). I don't intend to stop eating them, as there are far worse things to consume, than some mayo (eggs and oil).

• Audrey

But.......it's so delicious!

what is fattening about the potato salad is the potatoes, not the mayo or mustard.  

• Mark

Unless you eat it every day, potato salad is fine. Seriously, did you not know this?  Humans can't live on unsalted broccoli and baked fish three times a day...