Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 1 month ago

Is it hard to replace drywall?

Should I pay for someone to come do it or do you think it can pretty much be done as DYI project? 

If it is ceiling then you don't want to do that.  Walls are relatively easy to do though the WHY question has to be asked as drywall is gypsum board (basically a rock) Rocks don't age. So no need to replace. (unless you got flooded out)  Yours may be more a patch job. not a panel replacement.  Check youTube on how to do and you should find the info you need.

• ?

Small area, great chance to get some DIY experience. You can always hire someone if you screw it up. If small, you didn't waste a lot of money. Big areas and large ceiling areas, at this point, for myself, are best left up to the professionals.

• John

I'll add that it depends on the size of the job. If it's just a patch then it's not so hard. A whole room is another matter. Pros have drywall specific tooling, which you could rent if you knew how to use it. As others have said, it's the mud that gets you. It's always the mud......

Once you know the basics it is simple. Watch Youtube. The hard part is getting the joints flat. That just takes practice and patience. I use paper tape for the joints because it is flatter than mesh tape. Then I do two or three very thin coats of filler over a few days, and sand lightly. I have a favourite flexible spreader. 

Watch out for the dust. It gets everywhere. 

It is expensive to get it done professionally because the installer has to keep coming back to put on coats of mud. Do it your self and once you have done that project you can tackle the whole house if you want. 

• G R

Depends on what your project is or how big it is.

It is easy to do yourself. If you want it skimmed rather than taping and jointing you can get a professional in and fix the boards yourself.

• Barry

There are plenty of tutorials on the 'net. It's not a difficult job.

it is DIY if you know what you're doing.  try youtube videos ...

It depends on how much has to be done and what DIY skills you may have. There is a certain amount of skill in getting the finish correct. You could consider putting up the panels and then paying a professional to do the tape and texture work. That is usually when an amateur has problems.