Anonymous

Is a bachelors degree even worth anything anymore? when it comes to getting a high paying job?

I am in my junior year of college but due to the pandemic, I have been taking courses full-time at home. My motivation has completely diminished. I have a hard time concentrating, I am studying business with a concentration in advertising/PR, but I have zero interest in it, or any other major for that matter. I'm wondering if it's even worth it. I'm so unhappy I'd rather do a trade but the money may suck.

• Wundt

Get the degree.  You are close to finishing and it is still true that most entry level jobs in the corporate world require you at least have the Bachelor's.  Honestly, unless you attended an Ivy League college, five years into your career no one cares where you went to school or what you majored in.  I would note, the people I know who left college to take "trade" jobs either went back later to finish their degree or regretted not finishing.

This question keeps being asked and answered. 

Yes, a bachelors degree is worth something. If anything, education is more important than ever before. 

People with HS diplomas earn more than HS drop-outs.

People with Bachelor's degrees earn more than those without

People with Master's degrees earn more still.

Having said that, college isn't the only path to success. I have a buddy who went to college, wasn't feeling it, dropped out and became a plumber. Now he has his own shop, makes more than me (and I have a Masters), and perhaps most importantly - he's happy. 

There's nothing wrong with pursuing a career in the trades if that's where your interests lie. Do what make you happy. 

• Luke

The value of something is based on scarcity. Now, more people are getting bachelor degrees than before and more people are getting postgraduate degrees than before. 

Getting a bachelor degree no longer makes you stand out from the crowd. A bachelor degree is the new high school diploma and a postgraduate degree is the new bachelor degree.

• garry

there worth it if there is a job for it and the amount of vacancies there are in that field , cant blame  anyone except your self , you chose the wrong field .

• John

You are talking foolishly.  Do you think those who work in the trades are somehow unaffected by the pandemic?  Those with only a high school diploma are suffering an unemployment rate almost double of that of college graduates. Stop your whining and study.  

• fcas80

Your options will be much more limited without a bacheor's degree.  Although there is nothing wrong with a trade if you have the skills.

Maybe you should be asking whether a Master's degree is the minimum entry nowadays.

frankly speaking, a business degree is quite worthless.