Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsInfectious Diseases · 1 month ago

I cut my knee on this nail it kinda just stabbed into my skin a little will this give me tetanus will I be ok?

I washed the cut and used hydrogen peroxide and antibiotic cream the nails dosent really look like it has rust in it I’m pretty sure I also have all my shots I’m 17

Also the cut is that tiny little hole 

Get a shot.  They're either free or very cheap.  They also hurt very little to not at all.  I had no bad effects when I got one last year after getting a puncture wound from a dirty staple.  The staple was on an office carpet where I was trying to fix some stuff on a server rack under a desk/counter.  The carpet was fairly dirty and the staple got me under my fingernail.  I work for a major pharmacy chain and the shot was free. I just had to go from the office to the pharmacy and they gave me the shot within ten minutes.

• John P

Tetanus shots last a good deal longer than 10 years, according to my doctor in Britain. A few years ago I was going to do some large-scale gardening for friends and asked for a tetanus shot, but he was reluctant because I last had one in 1960. He did eventually agree to give me that shot.

Rust doesn't cause tetanus, but stepping on a nail might if you're not immunized. In fact, any damage to the skin, even burns and blisters, allows tetanus-causing bacteria to enter the body. Tetanus is not as common as it once was. Still, tetanus patients have only about a 50-50 chance of recovering.

You are fine the shot last 10 years. The skin is barely scratched and I doubt it had tetanus on it.

• Edwena

Get tetanus shot.