Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 4 weeks ago

Parents - do you have any sympathy for people who complain about babies crying on planes?

Yes, but I also know that there's really not a whole lot you can do in that situation if it's your little one crying

• edward

A little childrens tylenol before you board the plane fixes that.  It serves the purpose of alleviating pain.  I don’t have sympathy for the parents who don’t give thier kids something to make the pain go away.  But for many people flying is stressful, a crying baby is just as stressful when they don’t stop crying.  I am understanding

Absolutely.  As a parent, we all know crying babies are the bane of parenthood.  It isn't music to our ears outside of the delivery room.  I just doubt non-parents have any empathy for how difficult it can be to soothe a baby and that for the most part it isn't the parent's intent to bother other people.

Of course.  It's horrible to be trapped in a small enclosed area with loud noises, regardless of the source of the noise.   Sometimes the noise is unavoidable.  Doesn't mean it hurts the ears any less.

• LizB

Yes, because it's incredibly irritating to be trapped in a small space with a screaming child, and I used to be one of those grumpy passengers who thought children shouldn't be taken on planes until they were old enough to not throw tantrums. When I travel alone, I still get irritated. It's hard not to.

But then I had a baby 1600 miles away from my nearest family, and some of my dearest family members were not healthy enough to travel to us, which meant either we went to them or my kids would never see their extended family at all. Fortunately neither of my kids have ever been the sort to scream the *whole* flight, but I can say that I was awfully grateful for fellow passengers who looked at me with sympathy and encouragement (or just politely ignored us) instead of giving me the stink eye. And lemme tell ya, no matter how annoyed you are by a small kid screaming on an airplane, whatever the parent is feeling is about 10x worse.