How can I become more politically active?

I am 25 years old and I'm from the UK. Recently due to all the events going on in the world at the moment I've been thinking a lot about what I can do to be more involved in politics/activism. 

I have always been interested in doing research on issues that interest me as well as history and international issues, but at the same time I don't think I'm selfless enough to become a politician or run for any kind of office so I just feel like what's the point of doing anything if I'm not planning on getting into power to affect change.

I do try to talk more about issues with my friends to the extent that they want to listen or talk about them. I don't use social media anymore because I don't think it is effective in trying to communicate/debate with people and frankly just for the sake of my own mental health. So most of my current 'activism' if you can call it that mainly involves voting, signing petitions and donating money when I can to political organisations and causes. I have also started to write more to my MP about specific issues that I feel need more attention. 

With all that being said, I do feel like I can be doing more in terms of outreach and engagement. I did think about maybe joining a political party, but the only party that I feel aligns most with my values is the Green Party and they don't really have any chance of getting into power, especially not in the area where I live. 

If anyone has any help or advice I would appreciate it. 

Thanks

• Maxi

Anyone who wants to influence change ( and learn about society and its needs) starts by volunteering and getting involved with local party politics, be it helping local councillors in the work they do, attending local council public meetings and listening to the issues brought up and the work that needs doing to resolve those issues, becoming part of the volunteer team who help to talk to the public, leaflet distribute or getting involved in  active work to clean up local streets  or canals/ponds of rubbish........ 'becoming an MP' all start with volunteering in local polictics in some way or other as it teaches them 'what the public want/need' how to work in teams to achieve that, how to listen and develop a plan and make the environmental changes come into reality......... too many think 'writing to local MP' or 'joining a march'  'signing petitions' or 'donating money' changes things, it doesn't, it is not getting acively involved and getting your hands dirty........... some of the best local councillors and MPs are the ones who put the work in, regardless of their politicals or party they are part of...... two of the very best local councillors I knew and got involved actively to help (one of which became a MP) politically were opposite to my political views and yet their work was aimed at what local people needed and they got things done, political 'sides' can be very divisive and separating but not one 'party politics manifesto' would most people agree with totally...so it is about influencing change.......... so the Green Party...say 30 yrs ago, the 'happy clappy party' would be a better discription, however they have remained, they have 'grown up' they have educated and they have influenced ALL the other parties, so maybe not in power, but influencing the manifestos of all the other parties is far more important

RH FM FM FM RH gh

I guess you'd first need to decide if you care more about your personal convictions or winning. Volunteering with a local Green Party campaign might be a good way to get your feet wet (and perhaps teach you that winning isn't everything). The only way small parties become big parties is if people get involved and work to make it happen. 

On a serious note, if you want to understand how the world, money and politics works watch a 6 hour David Icke lecture. There are many to choose from. Don’t believe the media spin that he is crazy. It’s no good getting involved in causes if you don’t understand the world’s power structure.