Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

What is a good flea killer for dogs? Something hard on fleas but easy on dogs ?

Ask this question of a local vet he knows what flea treatments work best within your area.

Look for a poison called Pyrethrin in the ingredients.  It is an instant kill & a derivative of the Chrysanthemum plant, a natural insecticide.  I buy Terro spider & ant killer, it is in a bright orange can where you buy bug spray.  I spray all the running boards in the house & all around the outside of the house.  I DO NOT use it on any animal in this form.  Just spray surfaces, couches, rugs, objects that can harbor fleas, curtains, bedding, their beds & yours.  I know all about this poison & used it back in my dog grooming days on clients dogs & my own.  It come in many different labels, & some can be diluted & used as a dip on dogs.

• Maxi

The easiest way is protecting the dog from getting fleas, as once they have them EVERYWHERE your dog goes is infested, so each and every room and your garden and it takes a lot of work and cleaning/clearing to get rid of them. Fleas lay eggs and they can lay dormant in the home/garden until a host walks by and they hatch, jump on and their life cycle starts all over again, so  you have to deep clean your home at least 3 times in 9 days to eradicate them, keep grass short and clean/disinfect paths/patios.

I use 100% neem on my dogs and have done for decades...100% neem bark/leaf powder for internal ,  so a teaspoon daily for a week, then half a teasp daily for the rest of the month mixed on their food then one teasp once a week after that and 100% neem oil externally as a finish on their coat after grooming weekly..... neem kills and protects from ALL parasites, so mites, ticks, worms, fleas it also boosts their immune system and it is 100% natural and safe  not a synthetic chemical poison like you purchase from the vets

u can get them flea tablets and i think you give everyday. There is also the little tubes you put between their shoulders every month.

Fleas seem to be getting more and more resistant to the treatments we have for them. I used to use Frontline plus, but the fleas would return before the next dose was due. I have heard that Bravecto is what the vets are recommending these days, but I'm not so sure of the side-effects. I got rid of all the carpet in my house which hopefully will decrease the places that can get infested.

A vacuum cleaner

If I have to treat for fleas, which is rare, I use Comfortis, which I get from my vet.

I have all hard surface floors and my furniture is all wood and leather.  I keep the house clean and vaccummed and change my bedding a lot so the only time the dogs have fleas is when they pick them up outside.  I've had fleas on my dogs only ... maybe three times ever in 8 years and as soon as I know there is a flea they get comfortis.

If you have an active infestation you have to treat the source.  Fleas have a four part life cycle so you have to keep treating all areas of infestation through all the life cycles to kill all the fleas.  If you have carpeting this is a big deal, daily treatments with diotomacious earth and vacuumming will eventually take care of the carpet.