The moon could not be 200 thousand miles away, 200k is the distance of the sun?

I can see the Sun earth angle at dusk. I would guess the earth to moon distance is 4 times the length of the earth from north pole to south pole. That is 50 thousand miles strait above..... That is the distance of the moon.... I seen it with my own eyes.... Thoughts?

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Favourite answer

I don't understand the basis for your guess.  When the Sun and Earth form a right angled triangle with our satellite, you can work out the relative distance of the Sun from the angle of the phase by trigonometry and it's about four hundred times the distance between the two smaller bodies.  You can then work out the distance of the Sun by timing the delays in the movement of the larger moons of Jupiter when they're on the other side of the Sun, and you can calculate the speed of light by using a rapidly rotating mirrored disc and a cogwheel at a distance of several miles with a laser.

• Tom
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

I like how you MIX both Miles AND Kilometers.

• 4 weeks ago

My thought is that you lack the capacity for thought.

Attachment image
  • 1 month ago

What ever you say chief. Smart people know better.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

That's nice dear

• John P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Whatever you think you can see, scientists for well over 100 years have known that the Sun is 93 million miles or 150 million kilometres from the Earth.

Yes, that  many million.

And I would guess that your teacher of English has been lazy.

• D g
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I guess mathematics is not your strong point 

• Acetek
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

you have already demonstrated your ignorance.  time to move to another topic

• Rick
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

the sun is 93,000,000 miles away, 93 MILLION miles .........

• 1 month ago

Whatever you wish to believe is fine. 

But, the distance to the moon is about 239,000 miles, while the distance to the sun is about 93 million. 

Again - whatever you think is perfectly acceptable. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.