Music Theory Roman Numerals Question?

So if a chord in the left hand for piano is e then b and in the right hand it is a and e what would the chord be in roman numerals?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

You mean you play and e chord with the left hand and an a chord with the right hand at the same time?  Or do you mean notes instead of chords?  

• 4 weeks ago

As Mordent said - Roman numerals are used to tell us the function of a chord *within a certain key*.  The e-sus4 chord you gave us could be  i in e minor; I in E major; iii in C major - and the list can go on and on and on. We use Roman numerals, and their modifiers, to tell us the relationships of the chords/harmony, so that we can then apply that to playing the same work in ANY key we wish to transpose it to - while playing by ear, or if we need to write it down.  For another example "OK - I am looking at a F major chord with a flatted seventh.  Is that V7 in Bb - or is it V7/V in Eb - of what?  Looking at ONE CHORD is like a chef looking at a potato - it could be ONE ingredient in any number of delicious things - or it could be used to remove scuff marks from a leather shoe.  The specific NAMES of chord - A7, Db 6/4 - etc., all have their place - and some of the abbreviations are used more often in pop music, some in standard traditional works, some in Baroque figured bass realizations - but the principles are the same.  Identify what you HAVE, and then how it fits into the rest of the jigsaw puzzle.  Sounds confusing at first - then it clicks, like when you learned to read as a little kid, or do math in your head.  Stick with this, keep asking us here - there are several of us that will help ( well, Mordent and me, for now . . )

• 4 weeks ago

As we don't know the key it could be anything.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.