Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 1 month ago

What is the common age for people to have children?

Is 35 too old to be having children?

It used to be a lot younger like 18 up. Even 16 up probably back in the 60's when you married your high school sweetheart or they knocked you up lol. Then the cost of living soared and now we have double income families and now women HAVE to work in order to not just take care of themselves but their families! Now, minimum wage will NOT cut it and you have to work two jobs in order to live a "normal" life and survive! Those who are "lucky" are living with their parents now (with or without children and a husband!). Also, since that is happening, women are now waiting longer and longer to have their first child and scientists and doctors say that's not the wisest thing to do because as you age, you get more reproductive problems (eggs running out and acquired diseases/illnesses will be more common as you age and therefore making it harder to manage a pregnancy, not to mention the "pain" of labor!). Now it seems like only rich people are qualified to have babies but if not, then people who cannot afford it FORCE the issue! They go on Welfare. They get knocked up regardless of it they can afford it financially or not because their body couldn't wait to have children! Their hormones were screaming to reproduce! 

Source(s): 36, filipina, not married, no kids (yet?), no husband either (it's a long story!).

I would say early 30's, but late 30's is certainly not too old. My mother was 37 when she had me, and 40 when she had my brother. My grandmother was 38 when my mother was born.

in their 20,s. 35 is not too old to have children.

whenever you want. 35 is not to old and pretty common

The most common age is usually in the late teens, twenties and thirties. 35 is not too old to have a child! I had my son at 23, and he is five now. I realize that if I would have had him younger, I don't know how I would have done it. 

edward is retarded.

• edward

In thier 20’s.  35 is too old

• John P

Somewhere between 16 and 40, more likely from early 20s to mid 30s.

We had 3 children, when my wife was 32, 34, 37.

Check with your doctor about your suitability for having children. Certainly 35 is late for a first child.

I came along when my mother was 38, her only live birth. That was in 1946 - there was a little man called Adolf who kept my parents and many other parents apart for a few years.

The "common" age - or "average" age to start a family changes constantly.

Before the 1980's, it was very common to get married right after high school and have your first child by the age of 21.  The average age for the year of 1972 was 21 for a source that I found while doing a few google searches.

During the last few decades, that age has been gradually increasing as more and more women are picking pursuit of a carrier before the pursuit of a family.  The current average age for having a first child is around the age of 26 to 29 depending on what source you find.  (some variance depending on exactly how I worded the search).

Now, as for 35 being "too old" - no - it isn't too old yet.  Many women have children in their 30's.  It may be less common for it to be their FIRST child - but women successfully have healthy pregnancies and healthy babies in their 30's all the time.  What is most important is for the woman to be ready for having a baby.  Feeling physically, emotionally, and financially ready to handle a baby is more important than the age.  With medical advancements in fertility programs and prenatal care, age is becoming less of a factor for having a baby.

Sometime around the age of 40, fertility does takes a sharp decline and the risks for complications or birth defects increase - but you still have a little time and even when the risks increase, it doesn't mean you can't have a successful pregnancy - it just means you are in a higher risk group if you haven't finished having children by the age of 40.  But, again, medical advancements are reducing some of those risks all the time.  Older women should certainly consider getting a physical check-up and advice from their doctor before they begin their attempts to get pregnant.  

My mother was 35 when she had me.  I was her fifth child and my oldest sibling is 15 years older than me.

My husband's mother was 34 when she had him and he was her tenth child.  (Yes - TENTH)   She had a set of twins one year after having him - for a total of 12 children by the time she was 35 with her twins being born when she was 35.  The age gap in that family is also 15 years from oldest sibling to the youngest siblings.  (the twins)

• donnie

I would say between 20s-30s and no