so say i am an american citizen but i live in india .. can i admit to colleges and universitys in usa?


what if i have one parent living in the us and another living in india

5 Answers

  • 4 weeks ago

    Yes, you can apply for admission if you meet all of the school's requirements. You do not need a student visa IF you hold a currently valid US passport. However, since you & your parents have not been legally residing in any state & paying state taxes, you are not eligible for any tuition subsidies (in-state tuition) in any state. You apply & pay as out-of-state resident. Expect costs to run about the same as for out-of-state citizens and foreign students - expect to spend at least USD50,000/year. Since you have been educated in a non-English speaking country, you will need to take TOEFL to prove sufficient English language competency.

  • 4 weeks ago

    If you mean you have a US passport and are living in India (which does not allow dual nationality) then yes, you can apply to attend college/university in the USA as regular student instead of having to apply as an international student who needs a student visa. If your US citizen parent is a resident in a US state then you can probably attend a state operated college/university as a state resident, which means you would pay a lot less in tuition. 

    If you apply for admission to a college or university in the USA and you are a US citizen then make certain the admissions office staff understand you are NOT an international student.  

  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

    You wouldn't even have to be a US citizen to be admitted to US universities. There are many Indian nationals who attend uni in the US every year. 

  • 4 weeks ago

    US universities accept applicants from everywhere in the world.  No need to be a US citizen and actually this puts you at a disadvantage.  When you apply, the form asks if you will need a student visa.  If you say no (which you must do) your application will be processed by the domestic not the international department.  Your SAT score will be measured against that of US applicants who have been practicing since they were 13 years old and your GPA will be measured against that of US applicants with their massive grade inflation.

    You will need to pass the English language test if English is not the language used at your school/at home. 

    As a non resident, you will be eligible for Federal, but not State student loans.  Those can often be considerably less than the cost of attending so hope for financial aid.

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

    Yes you can apply for Colleges and Universities in the USA however as you are not resident/ live in the US then the cost would be more

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.