Why doesn’t NASA just take rocks from the moon and sell them for millions ?

I ran a college planetarium for a couple decades, and after taking a special course was allowed to borrow some lunar samples, which I did every year for several years, using them to attract audiences to our public shows.  Had to sign a fancy form, arrange all sorts of security when not on view.  I'm long retired, but I assume NASA still has the program.

Didn't you ask this same question on Quora?

Because the counterfeit market would go out of control 

and no one, not even NASA, would be able to do anything about it. 

• It's a poor business model due to the cost of going to get more rocks.

• garry

maybe because they are a rock , who would pay a million for a rock , i have a yard full of them .

How do you think these 500 billions will be generated?

It would cost alot more to go to the moon and get the rocks and bring them back than they would get by a sale of them. 

The only rocks they have were obtained between 1969 and 1972.

They are worth far more as objects of scientific inquiry. Plus, as a federal agency, NASA cannot sell things and keep the money.

They are Priceless my friend

Very expensive if you want one for the Bottom of Your Fish Tank

I had my chance for one, and it was the second moon rock on public display, Sept. 25th, 1969.  That was just over 2 months after Buzz and Neil picked it up.

I worked at the Burke Baker Planetarium, in Hermann Park, Houston TX.  My boss, Armand Yramategui, came into the back office with a cardboard box.  "Come see what I got!"  I knew the NASA lunar receiving lab's moon rock was due to go on display that morning in our lobby.  Armand pulled out a black plastic flying saucer with a clear bubble top.  Inside was a metal fork holding a sparkly very dark gray rock.  It was fresh from the downtown bank vault, transported by armored truck and guards.

Then Armand said "I have to get pictures.  Let's go outside where the light is better."  So out the back door, into the park and the 9 AM sunshine coming through the trees we went.  Armand set up tripods for the rock holder and his camera, snapped away.  Took one of me next to our moon rock, the first after the Smithsonian's to come out to the whole world. I still have copies of those shots.

Thank goodness no one walked over from the street and conked us on our heads and took it.  That would have been embarrassing and painful.

So I had a much cheaper satisfying experience with a moon rock than your idea would develop.

• Zirp

because it costs more to get them here, and there's no telling whether anyone would buy them