Can I install pergola posts on pool concrete foundation?

Hello,

I am planning on building a pergola in my backyard and dont have a concrete slab. I am planning on using the footings from the fence and the concrete wall around the pool to drill the posts. Do you think it's a good idea? I can't find any information on that on the web.

Thanks!

Thanks for the answers guys. I will rethink my projet and probably use screw piles instead.

I would think that is a bad idea. I would not drill into a pool because it might crack later and give you all sorts of problems. Depending on the look you want, I would put the posts on concrete post blocks or on plastic bases for the job. They keep the bottom of the post out of the wet. As you build the pergola you can put supports higher up to keep the post from moving if it is kicked hard or hit with a barbecue or something. Gravity and the weight of the pergola will do the rest. 

• sissy

you should never drill or dig near your pool .. it could cause all kinds of problems down the road not to mention you might break a plumbing line or electrical line..pools are expensive and repairs can get real costly

You ABSOLUTELY DO NOT WANT to compromise the pool wall in ANY way, PERIOD.

You SHOULD be looking to anchor the posts in NEW concrete, regardless of what you already have.

there's a special premade concrete footing that fits 4x4 posts made exactly for this -- ask at your building materials store.  the point of this footing is that it later allows you to easily replace the posts -- after rot or termites destroy them.  Be sure to ask how to tie the footings down if you live in an area that is potentially subject to intense storms.  -- grampa

If you mean coming off the back/top of the concrete wall to the pool, it might be possible, but there is an undoubted risk of adding load for which it was not designed (although most concrete design has a fair bit of redundancy in it).  I would use metal shoes so that the treated wood is free draining and standing clear of the finished ground level and can rotate to avoid putting leverage on the pool structure.

• Edwena

You have to put the posts in a hole in the ground about 3 feet deep and fill the hole with good concrete back up to the surface.  Think about using 4x4 galvanized steel posts at 10'-12' spacing, like are used on commercial carports. You beam spans will be a problem if you don't use lots of posts, or use steel beams. Metal building supply houses have steel posts.  Now all of this is a bit of a job and is best done with a crew of metal building/car port installers.  You don't want the pergola to rack from a high wind.  You can do it by yourself if you plan out the work and get things straight and perfect.  Steel is easy to drill and you use bolts to attach wood framing.  Then use screws to screw the wood frame together.  

Hey! Thanks for the answer. I'm talking specifically about drilling in the concrete used to build the pool walls, not the floor. I actually have pavers surrounding the pool, so i would have to remove some of the pavers to drill the post in the pool wall. I'm not sure if it has been done before!