Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 1 month ago

Why do people want to cure Down syndrome and autism? ?

It’s a waste of money and resources and that money needs to be used for acceptance. They’re both incurable and people have to accept it. It is what it is. 

Neither of these conditions is "curable". Down Syndrome is a hereditary problem caused by the presence of an extra chromosome. The only way to "cure" it is to abort babies that are diagnosed with it in utero, so that they don't get born in the first place. There are some countries where this has become very normalized, such as Iceland, for example. I am not saying I support this, only that it exists.

As for Autism, the real issue is SOCIAL ATTITUDES, which SUCK right now, especially towards Autistic adults. American society is one of the most cruel in existence. The tendency is to want to BLAME people with Autism for their disability, instead of trying to help and support them. Playing the blame game serves no purpose whatsoever, except to create more divisions in society. People with Autism deserve to be celebrated, not ignored or shamed. They aren't sick, and they aren't BROKEN. They don't need to be "fixed" or cured. What those around them need to do is change the way THEY THINK about Autism and its many forms.

Source(s): I'm an adult with mild Autism, and it ticks me off when people try to tell me that I'm "sick", or that I need to be "fixed". I don't. What I need is ACCEPTANCE, and to be treated as an EQUAL by those around me.

if a cure is found people will no longer have either illness.

cause some people dont like to have that