Mattress Protector didn’t work?

Soo, a dog peed on my bed and, when I took everything off of my bed including my “waterproof” mattress protector, there was the smell of pee on my actual mattress. Does this mean that the mattress protector didn’t work or is it like when you can smell pungent things through plastic? I sprayed my mattress with an all purpose Clorox/bleach spray. Will that eliminate the smell/molecules or is it just masking it and pushing the smell further down?

It sat there for almost 24 hrs because the pee was very clear and I couldn’t find it until the next day.

Sadly it's really just masking the smell. You'll need to get a new mattress and make sure your dog doesn't get in your room. 

• Sky

Assuming there was no pee smell already in the mattress before you started using the mattress protector, either the protector leaked (which would be indicated by the feeling of a wet spot) or the smell of the pee did leach through the plastic from sitting there long enough.  Instead of that Clorox, get a cleaner that's specifically made for removing pet urine.  Things like that are made to neutralize the chemicals in the urine so they don't stink any more.  And get a better mattress protector.  The cheap ones can tear easily and leave little holes that can leak through.

it might not have worked