Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsPhotography · 1 month ago

How to take a photo like this? ?

I’m a new photographer, still learning manual mode and such but I saw this picture. I am curious to know, how do I take a picture like this? Any suggestions on what to set my camera to?

• John P

"Like this"? Do you mean - so dark that it is very difficult to see anything in it? Or do you mean a photo of several people in a line?

Exposure level (dark/bright) can be left to the camera entirely, or can be judged by yourself, possibly with help from the camera.

Only you can decide how to photograph a line of people. In the pic shown it looks like a medium long lens has been used - hard to see because it is so dark. A long lens squashes things or people up together.

There are two sets of shadows, so I assume that the illumination is sunlight and flash-on-camera. Somebody got the exposure level seriously wrong, or somebody has mucked about with the brightness level etc in the digital file. 

• keerok

You set a camera depending on the available light. Judging from the photograph, the sun was setting behind the photographer and he failed miserably in doing so. So, to take a bad photo like that, underexpose.

• Sumi

IMHO, this is an example of what not to do because the image is greatly underexposed.  You can get this look in two ways: Underexpose the image when taking it, or the better way is to get the exposure right and then use photo-editing software and lower the brightness of the image in post.

Wow!  That is such a poorly exposed photograph that you can barely see what's on it.  If I were you, I'd go right back to basics and start the learning process all over again.

That is a poor photo that is underexposed by at least two stops. If you want a similar look, set your camera to under expose by two stops and go from there.