Why are people finding it so hard to find a job?

I get that COVID-19 has caused many job losses, mine included. Along with 95% of my department at my old job. We were all made redundant. But full-time job searching and persistence for three months is what I believe landed me my new job.

No one in my previous team has found a job yet. Is it just that they're not job searching much, or have bad skills when it comes to CVs and interviews? I'm surprised not even one of them has a job right now. And our industry (IT) is doing quite well despite the pandemic at least where I live, albeit increased competition.

I was the most junior person in my previous team, yet I'm the first to land a (still junior, but higher level) job. Others had much more experience yet are failing. As for my new job, I was chosen out of 700 applicants so I know how tough it is, plus the job-searching phase was no walk in the park. I KNOW IT'S HARD. But why are people finding it *very* hard to find a job, any job? Surely they're not trying as hard?

Well it’s reduce because people Keep getting sick.also try to see if u can work from home jobs because that’s what a lot of people are doing to avoid this disease spreading.

A lot of job hunting these days is luck. You will be a fit for a company somewhere.. It's just luck whether you find that company in a week, a month or a year...

• Lisa A

Because there are far fewer jobs that exist than the number of people who need jobs.