Your thoughts on "War and Peace"? ?

Do you prefer Anna Karenina or War and Peace?

• Prince

I prefer War and Peace to Anna Karenina. Anna Karenina is a piece of garbage and so's the book. I cheer when she suicides on the train tracks. She didn't think with her brain but with something lower and she was disgusting. War and Peace, on the other hand, I adore. Many admirable characters. Persons who could keep it in their pants. It's a loftier story and uplifting. Prince Andrei is truly noble. Little Petya is generous and brave and, though still a child, dies in war. The Rostoff daughter, who seems destined to ruin her character through lust, is saved and redeemed. War and Peace is about the higher self, rising above mundane considerations and acting on the bigger stage. Higher callings and higher causes. Anna Karenina is nothing but a tramp and bad mother. Not inspiring.

• snafu

Apparently it’s a very long book.  

• j153e

Tolstoy originally plotted AK as a novella; while writing it, he wrote his feelings about it:  AK was "sickening to me," "unbearably repulsive," "terribly disgusting and nasty," and "a bore, insipid as a bitter radish," "[I] have stopped publishing my novel and want to give it up, I dislike it so much."  WaP was more likely his preferred read :-)

I like War and Peace a lot and prefer it to Anna Karenina.

They are very different novels. War and Peace has a much wider scope; Anna Karenina is a narrower tale.

I much prefer Anna Karenina.

• Andrew

"Anna Karenina" is infinitely superior to "War and Peace." 

Read Both and war and Peace twice and all i can remember it was about War and Peace