What is an Active Duty Tour and can a recruiter contact a reservist to serve on active duty tours?

Recently applied for AGR just in time for the board this week. Prior to the board reviewing packets, a recruiter contacted me about Active duty tours being available for me. Ive never heard of recruiters doing this but at the same time, Im not aware of the full details of recruiting.

• Mark B

Recruiters need extra help.  Once in a while, they will have the money/opportunity to bring someone on for an active duty tour.  NORMALLY, that will be 90-180 days.  It will be called ADSW - Active Duty for Special Work.

It sounds like the recruiter is doing you a favor because he knows you are looking for money or additional duty.  Go ahead and take it.  If you are picked up for AGR, they can amend your ADSW orders to shorten them.  If there is no gap, you would actually start your AGR tour with a little bit of leave earned during the ADSW assignment.

I did this before deploying to Iraq.  I had a couple training courses and an ADSW and was able to stay on orders until or deployment mobilization came through.  That was about 3 months of active duty.  The mobilization orders came through 2 weeks after I received a 60 day ADSW.  No big deal, they just shortened the ADSW orders.

• ?

Did you apply to be an AGR in a Recruiting duty position? That's what it sounds like.

No.  That would come internal as far as I know.  I was originally on a reserve contract and switched when they offered.

I guess it's possible they would use a recruiter for that.  But I've never heard of it.

It's just what it sounds like.  You modify your original contract or at least take a two year active duty gig.