Andre asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 3 weeks ago

English is not my language, what is the meaning of the verb "roof" in "...I roofed for six or seven years when I was in college"?

• Dave

I would say the act of laying roof shingles........... I guess it's a verb, it is the act or action of laying roof shingles

• JJ

It might be a reference to "roof-topping" (AKA "roofing"), which is an incredibly stupid thing that college-aged  people do.

• MARK

I am a native speaker of English and I do not know what 'roof' means in this context. I find none of the answers satisfactory and am not inclined to believe any of them.

I think what would have helped, as it often does, is some context. From where has this sentence been taken. Perhaps having cited the entire paragraph (if it has been taken from one) would have helped.

The closest my 'Oxford English Dictionary' comes is to explain that 'roofed' is an adjective derived from the use of the verb, I roofed at ...'. That means to live in another person's home.

• Willie

I was a roofer for so many years.

• leabee

It means he worked as a roofer, someone who installs or repairs roofing on houses.

The usage to mean "taking drugs", which is No 4 in the Urbandictionary link provided in one answer, is totally unknown to me, a British person of 70+.

EDIT TO ADD: Looking at this question again after a few days, I do wonder whether it's a typo for "roomed".

• God

Roofers are a drug. 

• John P

As someone born in the UK, of British parents, 74 years ago, I too do not know 'roofed' in the context of a location for studying or in drug-taking. I might guess that is connected with student accommodation, but exactly how I would not care to guess.

Await answers from others, possibly Americans.

The only sort of use for 'roofed' that I know is, for instance, "The house was roofed with terracotta tiles."

The explanation by Leabee etc of 'working as a roofer' does not really make sense to me in the context of 'when I was in college'. Being 'in college' implies studying in a college or working in college as a professor. For a manual worker such as a roofer the expression might be: "I worked for (Name) College as a roofer for six or seven years."