Can someone help ?

My condo has a mold smell and my landlord   ( who is my exhusband) Won’t pay to repair it because his homeowners insurance expired . I tried talking to him 🤣 and he said he’s selling it ! I was laid off due to coronavirus and can’t find  a job fast enough to be able to move out. My (and his) teen sons and I are  all having allergies. How can I make him pay to do the work? He died have money but refuses to help. 

I live in Massachusetts 

• zipper

Contact the department of health, if the place smells of mold then most likely mold is the cause and it is a safety issue as well as a health issue. And he will need to fix that before he can sell it!

Personal matter but it's so --------------------------!!!

If there is a lease, then the fact that your ex-husband is the landlord is immaterial. If there is no lease and you reside in the home, pay the mortgage, etc. then- he's still responsible- as the Owner of the home. If you live there and pay nothing- he's still responsible, as the OWNER. Homeowners are responsible for the health and safety of inhabitants- lease or no lease. Has he filed for an Eviction or Unlawful Detainer in the courts? 

If not, then he, as the owner is still responsible. Contact your local health department and report the situation. They will investigate and determine responsiblity for repairs. As an apt. manager, I've seen similar type situations. Example: Resident calls about "mold", but they have dusty window sills and a closed up apt- no air flow. Well, combine the dust w/condensation from a closed up home= mold. That is your issue- not the landlord's. It's called CLEANING. Use a small amount of bleach, dilute w/water- squirt, squirt, wipe, wipe- all gone. FYI- that type of mold is called "surface mold", which will only require cleaning and air flow.Surface mold can show up anywhere in the home- but, I've seen it most often in closets, closed off spaces, dark rooms, etc.  You'll notice little fuzzy mold on your clothes or shoes. Any mold will have a "smell". Tie up a wet towel, stick it in the trunk of your car for a day or two, and you will smell mold. Just because you smell it, doesn't make it the landlord's problem. If, for example, a sprinkler is spraying against a wall and the water intrudes into the home, then THAT is the landlord's issue. If the structure itself has a mold issue- not related to household issues- again, the landlord's issue. The roof is leaking and now you see mold- yup, you guessed it- landlord's issue and responsiblity. Do you see the pattern of responsibility here? Double check your housekeeping, then contact the health department, then demand your landlord, aka ex-husband, make necessary repairs. And, if the health department agrees the mold is not based on a housekeeping issue, they will compel him to make necessary repairs to make the home liveable again.  

Source(s): Apt management since 2000, CA and OK.

Pretty sure it is the landlord's responsibility to clean the initial onset of mold, especially if it presents a health hazard, even for a jobless bum

No landlord is required to house you if you don't pay rent. (Although your husband is a pill) Condos are notorious for fees that make them expensive to own. Maybe your husband doesn't have the money. Where I live (lower cost of living than Massachusetts) condo fees run about $1000 a month. That's a lot of money, on top of a mortgage.

really? sure you want to repair it if hes going to sell out from under you?

its easy and cheap to do yourself but to be honest my opinion of rental managers is quite low right now being that the turd rental managers and lawyers here are hassling me and its the cold weather rule thruout north america, no evictions til summer, but prick lawyers and rental managers still claim we have to go to court.

just scrub the whole place, walls ceiling carpets floors everything with 1 part viniger ten parts water. followed with clean soapy water.

smell of vinager dissapates fast takes other smells with it and removes any mold

• R P

Have you even bothered to try to find the source of the leak that is causing the "mold smell?"  If it's something simple, maybe you could get off your non-rent paying *** & fix it yourself.

Its going to be very difficult to force him to fix this assuming you aren't paying him rent or anything.  You can either try fixing it yourself (cup of bleach in a gallon of water, wipe everything carefully and stop water from getting into the place - use a dehumidifier if there is to much humidity) or move. 

If you are paying rent then possibly you could use the rent to pay for it and instead of sending him the rent, send him receipts for your costs. 

Gee, your ex does not do everything you want him to. Nobody could have guessed it.

How does he plan to sell it with the smell?  Who's going to buy it that way?

Be that as it may,

1.  If he's selling, then you're going to have to move anyway, whether you can find a job or not.

2. There's no point to making him pay to do the work if you're going to have to move anyway because he's selling it.