Can you sue a Landlord for this issue?

We have a problem with wasps at our house. We cannot get an exterminator to come out without permission from our landlord. We have told her multiple times during the summer and have it documented. Myself and my daughter are both highly allergic to stings. We have epinephrine pens, but my daughters didn't work and we had to go to the hospital when she got stung. Since we cannot call the exterminators ourselves can we sue the landlord for not taking care of the problem?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Yeti
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

Related laws vary by location.

Commonly you can need to request "repairs" in writing, and if there's not a fix from the landlord within a certain time frame, there's a process for "repair and deduct." But you can need to review your local laws and lease, as the fix may be on you regardless.

If this really is a problem, most people would call the exterminators themselves without delay. And if the exterminator says they truly cannot do anything unless the landlord gives the okay, they at least can document the problem and put something in writing explaining what the fix is, how much it costs, and that they can't do it without landlord approval.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes, assuming you can prove the wasps nest exists on the property and you have given the landlord enough time (determined by state law) to both consider the issue and to begin working after your written notice was received.  You have proof of that right?  You would be surprised how much time that actually gives the landlord, as most landlord/tenant laws favor landlords. Good Luck.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

State law (if this is in the US) determines what the landlord's obligation is. If he fails to meet his legal obligation, you do have the option of legal remedy, but usually it's only for costs incurred because he didn't hold up his end.

• Squid
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes, you can sue for that.  Talk to a lawyer.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.