Why don't some automobiles make certain models anymore?

Toyota used to make the Trekker, and the Starlet, Dodge made the Colt, Nissan made the Stanza.

I like my Toyota pickup- no name other than pickup.

Mitsubishi made the Colt. I had a 1972. I put 285,000 miles on it. I sold it after parts were no longer available. By the way, it was not a particularly reliable car, but it was hella fun to drive RWD, 4 speed. I never found one that didn't crack its cylinder head. Toyota and Nissan superseded models with improved ones.

When Chevrolet needed a good car, they got it from TOYOTA ( Geo, Prizm, Nova). When Pontiac needed a good car, they got it from TOYOTA (Vibe).

• F

I know , I went into my local Ford dealers yesterday. Do you know what? They don’t maje the model T any more! 

Many models are rebadged. They continue with another name. It sounds "new and better" to the public.

A better question is, why have same model  name many years, when it evolves so  radically different? A 1960 Impala is a quantum leap from a 2020.

With Nissan, the Stanza was replaced by the Altima. As a matter of fact, when it was first introduced, it was actually called the Stanza Altima. The Dodge Colt was a Mitsubishi, but when car companies break off alliances, the car made usually falls by the wayside, such as the Pontiac Vibe, when Pontiac dissolved.

• Neil

The Toyota Trekker was a HiLux pickup with a cover over the load bed. Toyota still make the HiLux, and sell it in many countries across Asia, Europe and Africa, but leave the loadbed cover as an accessory rather than create a version that includes it as standard.

The Starlet was replaced by the Yaris/Vitz, which was such a significantly improved product in 1999 that it deserved a new name.

Dodge never made the Colt, they rebadged a Mitsubishi product. That alliance between Chrysler/Dodge and Mitsubishi was dissolved many years ago.

The Stanza was Nissan's last global mid-size car. It was replaced by different models developed to better meet the demands of customers in different parts of the world - the Bluebird and later Primera for Europe and Japan and the Altima for North America.

Sometimes the decision to cease a model line is due to company politics (e.g the Dodge Colt). Sometimes the market changes such that there is no longer enough demand to make it profitable to keep the model in production, especially if changes in safety or environmental regulations would require engineering investment. Sometimes the manufacture decides to use a new model name when they introduce a new generation of vehicle into a particular segment, either because the new model is such a significant change over the old that they want the public to recognise the difference (e.g. Starlet to Yaris, Escort to Focus). Sometimes the old model had gained a poor reputation that the manufacturer hopes to be able to avoid with the new model.

The design becomes obsolete. New names are chosen for the new models to appease the marketing Gods.

Some models have a bad reputation. So companies will introduce a new name to get rid of the stigma.

There is also a group of well paid marketing types that get paid to think of good names for cars. They have to do something to earn that money.

Of course some times they pick a dud name, and so they pick another one.

The Trekker was a coventurer between Winnebago and Toyota. Once Winnebago dropped out or was excluded the name was dropped.

The Starlet name might be coming back on the market.

The Dodge Colt was a bomb, poor workmanship and undependable.

Why Nissan dropped the name Stanza is not clear to me.

Manufacturers make what sells the best.  If they lose money on a model, that is the end of it.