Anonymous

Why do people choose careers that pay no money?

for example, my sister is 33 and makes $12 an hour as a cashier at 7/11. She has a master's degree in horticulture and a bachelor's degree in botany. She also has over 40k in student loan debt still. She will be living with our parents until she's 40. It's basically a sure fire way to end up single, poor, and uninspired. All because she chose a useless college major. Why do people make such poorly educated decisions about college?

Learn to mind your own business you little idiot life happens to everyone.

• Lili

That's not a career, working as a cashier, and obviously that's not what she originally chose to do.

Horticulture actually IS a career, and I know several working horticulturalists. They make decent money.

So, the question is, why isn't someone with a graduate degree in the field working as a horticulturalist?

• April

This is another question that keeps getting recycled on this forum, usually by an anonymous poster....

Many 18 year olds don't have the ability to see ahead in life. They pursue useless degrees because their families insist they go to college. Plus teachers are getting paid to advertise college programs. (These people might be giving good advice, but they won't be paying back the student loans.) Your sister could be making a lot more money if she relocated or even looked for better jobs unrelated to her field. There are a lot of ways to support yourself without a degree. It's your sister's choice to stay working as a store clerk, and that's okay because not everyone thrives in a highly competitive environment. Many people don't have the personality or the abilities to enter the corporate world. Just because you did well academically doesn't mean you'll succeed in life. 

Instead of hashing out on her, focus on your own life and take charge of it. Learn from mistakes and don't let other people's opinions get to you. Do the proper research to get into a field you can enjoy and be successful in.

Most of the people don't know, what should do them. People are just following each other. a few people who have the decision making ability. So, its like a rat race for a lot of us when we choose a career or anything else.

Ask your teachers. 

But my opinion is similar to what I think you are saying.  I had two stressful jobs that paid well and had great benefits.  After paying off all my debt, I retired from both and have a steady stream of income for life. 

Up until COVID (the Democrats) shutdown the economy I was still working at three part-time seasonal jobs that were paying hourly between $9 & $15 an hour.  Two retail & one data-entry.  Why?  Just to get me out of the house, but avoid the stress of a real job.  I saw them as more "hobby jobs".   Of course, with COVID I have been fully retired & hitting the gym instead.  

So long answer is most just don't want the stress that most high paying jobs require. 

Not a useless major at all. She could have chosen to look for other kinds of work, even at a local nursery, landscape architect, botanical gardens, US Park Service, etc. Her choice.

• Sounds like the issue lies more in your sister than in her education. She has a masters, which is even better than a bachelors, and a bachelors is the bare minimum nowadays to get your foot in the door pretty much anywhere. Your major honestly doesn't matter, just as long as you have a college degree, typically the minimum being a bachelors.. 

you can still get an entry level job making some sort of yearly salary.. you won't be making crazy money, unless you get lucky or put your time in for a few years or more to climb up the ladder (typically in corporate settings).. also connections are a HUGE part of it, speaking from personal experience.

So yeah, back to your sister. I don't know her personally, obviously, but it sounds like she may just be holding herself back? it doesn't really add up, she has a lot of education under her belt, her majors honestly don't matter if she has a higher" level degree, (graduate degree) under her belt.  

• John P

I am surprised that botany is 'useless'. 

• John

No one is a failure because of their college major.  They are failures because, for any number of reasons, they are unable to obtain a career level position and/or fail in their careers after being hired somewhere. Your sister has many opportunities available to her.  That includes in her major or a related field, or in the many career level positions which require only a 4 year degree in any subject.  Even more puzzling is the fact that for several years before the pandemic, there was a red hot job market...and still she couldn't find anything?  The problem lies within your sister, not her education.

there are many reasons, but your sister may just not be looking everywhere she can--Disney world for example employs a whole host or people with that major (I have a friend working as one) but that would involve moving. Some people don't care, they want to do that major for personal education, some people don't look realistically at the job market, some want a job handed to them but don't put in effort to move, start at the bottom etc. The point however, is it's their choice, why are you getting judgmental?