For a job that requires you to use your car, what is a fair amount of milage to be compensated for?

I am advancing to a second interview to do field inspections and for an environmental company. It would be a lot of field work and I’d have to use my car. The pay is ok, but not if I ruin my car in the process. How much per mile is standard to ask to be given?

I'm going to answer assuming you're based in the United States. 

For reimbursement for business miles put on your personal car, the "IRS rate" is $0.575/mile. That's inclusive of fuel, insurance, depreciation, etc. That means your company can pay you up to that amount for mileage without it becoming considered taxable income. 

It is legal in most states for companies to pay less than that amount - so what your company actually pays you is negotiable. But most companies just reimburse their employees at that rate. 

Also, it is not normal for companies to reimburse employees for "commuting expenses" that is from your home to your "normal place of work". 

• F

I think the UK government allows 45p per mile before it becomes a taxable benefit.

• R P

You will be compensated whatever rate the federal gov't set for mileage reimbursement.  It usually changes from year to year.

I wish my job compensated me for the thousands of miles I have driven in my car 

• enn

I think there is a calculator for this ---- try THIS easy calculator program and see if this helps a little. Good luck!

https://www.easycalculation.com/other/mileage-reim...

Its common and standard for the company to pay you the same rate the IRS allows for deductions, which is currently 57.5 cents per mile (updated each year, and sometimes even mid-year).

That number is not just an arbitrary amount, the IRS has done extensive research to determine the overall cost of ownership of a personal vehicle. It accounts for the basics such as gas, oil changes, etc and also for things like depreciation, scheduled and unscheduled maintenance/repairs, registration fees, etc.

Every company I have ever worked for or looked into simply used the IRS rate, or in a few cases a flat rate close to it (like rounding to 50 cents per mile for simplicity).

If you are needing to drive multiple places on a regular basis the company might provide you with vehicle. Or for occasional long trips they may rent a car for you to use.