Do you think a car is a luxury ?

I guess I was complaining about my car not and insurance being too high. I usually am ok with it but these last 2 months been sort of hard paying my $159 insurance and $260 note. And someone said well cars are luxury items that you don’t need and that I shouldn’t have a expensive car. I told him maybe you consider a car a luxury item but I need my car to get around. Catching a uber sometimes is okay but it is not a good means of transportation. And a public bus is bad because of the rona virus lol. But yeah I get it’s not a necessity like food, clothes and water but it’s something I do use everyday to help me get where I need to be. So for me it’s almost like a necessity. 

a lamborghini, sure. a little toyota, not so much

People have to drive to get somewhere,,,,,,,,,,,

Depending on where you live/work, and the availability of public transportation, a car could be a necessity, a convenience, a luxury, or a crippling expense.

For me it is a necessity - but I buy 'transportation' vehicles rather than 'luxury' cars.

Yes, just as much a luxury as refrigeration, electric light and indoor plumbing. There are, however, degrees of luxury based on cost and need.

Depends  the situation.

If you are close to public trans and it's not too big a wait, then, yes.

If you are out in the sticks and need to get to work every day, no.

I had a motorcycle, only, for a while, even I did not consider it a "Luxury" as I used it 90% for errands I needed to do, I carried groceries, motor oil;  even an 8' plank, once.

My '15  Mazda 3 sedan is costing me a fortune, too, but, I need it for  dates, errands, taking dog  somewhere,  soon to go back to class. Cars aren't an investment,  more a necessity.

As Devil implies, If I got a 2021   Corvette will full options or  Ram Dually, the wasted money  might look like luxury. A basic little 4 banger that Starts, Every Time and Doesn't break while having Some room in it and getting Great mileage isn't really a luxury.

• Anton

" Do you think a car is a luxury ? "

-- mostly yes.  A car is just too convenient to not have one.  

When you need something quickly, a car is mandatory. 

"  sort of hard paying my $159 insurance and $260 note.... "

-- A fancy car IS a luxury.  $5,000 a year, plus gas/service/etc., is a luxury.

There are several points here.

If one cannot get needed things done without a car, then it does qualify as a necessity. That doesn't mean that getting a huge SUV land yacht is a necessity.

One must consider rationally what one needs a car to do, and buy accordingly, leaving aside matters such as ego and buying cars for style. Because your car style is NOT a necessity.

Now, the current pandemic has greatly reduced my use of my car. I have racked up barely 1,500 kilometers since February 22 of this year. That's just a bit over 200 Km per month. This week is going to be unusual, in that tomorrow I will use my car for a second time this week.

Buying a car that you cannot afford to pay for, insure and maintain over the course of owning it is a sign that your choices are not good ones.

For some people it is a necessity.  They use their vehicle in their work.  In my area, there is no public transportation.  People have to drive to get somewhere.  Within a few miles of me, there are about 8.000 residents.  Far too many to try to use Uber or Lyft.

Depends on where you live.  As someone who lives in a rural town where there are no ubers or buses or any other way to get around, and the closest store is about a 40 minute drive away, a car is not a luxury.

• Dze

maybe .. i have multiple forms of transportation from a gas powered bicycle to a dirtbike to a couple of streetbikes and a car .. if things get hard i wouldnt be one bit bashful to cut everything else out of the budget and ride a bicycle ..