Do you think a car is a luxury ?

I guess I was complaining about my car not and insurance being too high. I usually am ok with it but these last 2 months been sort of hard paying my $159 insurance and $260 note. And someone said well cars are luxury items that you don’t need and that I shouldn’t have a expensive car. I told him maybe you consider a car a luxury item but I need my car to get around. Catching a uber sometimes is okay but it is not a good means of transportation. And a public bus is bad because of the rona virus lol. But yeah I get it’s not a necessity like food, clothes and water but it’s something I do use everyday to help me get where I need to be. So for me it’s almost like a necessity. 

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

a lamborghini, sure. a little toyota, not so much

• 2 weeks ago

People have to drive to get somewhere,,,,,,,,,,,

• 2 weeks ago

Depending on where you live/work, and the availability of public transportation, a car could be a necessity, a convenience, a luxury, or a crippling expense.

For me it is a necessity - but I buy 'transportation' vehicles rather than 'luxury' cars.

• 3 weeks ago

Yes, just as much a luxury as refrigeration, electric light and indoor plumbing. There are, however, degrees of luxury based on cost and need.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Depends  the situation.

If you are close to public trans and it's not too big a wait, then, yes.

If you are out in the sticks and need to get to work every day, no.

I had a motorcycle, only, for a while, even I did not consider it a "Luxury" as I used it 90% for errands I needed to do, I carried groceries, motor oil;  even an 8' plank, once.

My '15  Mazda 3 sedan is costing me a fortune, too, but, I need it for  dates, errands, taking dog  somewhere,  soon to go back to class. Cars aren't an investment,  more a necessity.

As Devil implies, If I got a 2021   Corvette will full options or  Ram Dually, the wasted money  might look like luxury. A basic little 4 banger that Starts, Every Time and Doesn't break while having Some room in it and getting Great mileage isn't really a luxury.

• Anton
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

" Do you think a car is a luxury ? "

-- mostly yes.  A car is just too convenient to not have one.  

When you need something quickly, a car is mandatory. 

"  sort of hard paying my $159 insurance and $260 note.... "

-- A fancy car IS a luxury.  $5,000 a year, plus gas/service/etc., is a luxury.

• 3 weeks ago

There are several points here.

If one cannot get needed things done without a car, then it does qualify as a necessity. That doesn't mean that getting a huge SUV land yacht is a necessity.

One must consider rationally what one needs a car to do, and buy accordingly, leaving aside matters such as ego and buying cars for style. Because your car style is NOT a necessity.

Now, the current pandemic has greatly reduced my use of my car. I have racked up barely 1,500 kilometers since February 22 of this year. That's just a bit over 200 Km per month. This week is going to be unusual, in that tomorrow I will use my car for a second time this week.

Buying a car that you cannot afford to pay for, insure and maintain over the course of owning it is a sign that your choices are not good ones.

• 3 weeks ago

For some people it is a necessity.  They use their vehicle in their work.  In my area, there is no public transportation.  People have to drive to get somewhere.  Within a few miles of me, there are about 8.000 residents.  Far too many to try to use Uber or Lyft.

• 3 weeks ago

Depends on where you live.  As someone who lives in a rural town where there are no ubers or buses or any other way to get around, and the closest store is about a 40 minute drive away, a car is not a luxury.

• Dze
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

maybe .. i have multiple forms of transportation from a gas powered bicycle to a dirtbike to a couple of streetbikes and a car .. if things get hard i wouldnt be one bit bashful to cut everything else out of the budget and ride a bicycle ..

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.