Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdolescent · 4 weeks ago

Do you think living on a college campus is a bad idea for someone with autism due to the constant change of living situations and sharing a ?

Room? I mean if they have to move back home for winter and summer break that seems like a lot of change in settings for someone who doesn’t cope well with change.

I have mild Autism, and I hold a college degree, and I lived on campus all four years I was in school. And I never had any problem with going home for breaks at Christmas or in the summer. Summer was a time to work, and I often worked away from home, so there was no issue with that. And Christmas was usually just a couple weeks. And not all Autistic people have a hard time coping with change. That's a myth.

• edward

My high school had a boarding house and not all students went home over the summer.  I lived in my house when i was in university so i’m not sure about how dorm life is but if it’s anything like the boarding house the student don’t have to leave till they graduate

Nah, depends on the person. There are people with high functioning autism who would be very successful living on campus.