Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 4 weeks ago

I will do that only for two minutes.  I will do that just for two minutes.  Are both correct?  ?

It kind of depends on what you want to mean.  Normally, the modifier (the limiter, the "just" or "only") ought to come immediately before what it is intended to limit.  There is a difference between "I will do it for two minutes only" (for only/just two minutes) and "I will do it, just/only for two minutes though."  The first says I will do it for exactly two minutes and not any other length.  the second says "I will only do it for two minutes and then I will not do it any more."  Obviously, it would be better to say "I will only do it for..." rather than "I will do it for only..."

There is no real difference here in whether you say "just" or "only".  Both can be used.

• John P

"I will do that for just two minutes,"

Either: I will only do that for two minutes", or : "I will do that for only two minutes".

Your placings of 'just' and 'only' are not natural in everyday British English as I encounter it in southern England.

As with many matters of daily speech, the more I think about it, the less certain I am!

• rotchm

Where is your question?

And if you were not anon, we would be able to see your past question. Being anon hides everything so we can't see what you wrote.