What is the professional title for an ARNP, is it Dr, Nurse, or something else?

Update:

An advanced registered nurse practitioner (ARNP) is a registered nurse who completes a graduate-level educational program. An ARNP can have primary responsibility for patient care.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Favourite answer

We do actually have "Nurse Practitioners" here in Scotland, and they are obviously more highly qualified than / senior to ordinary nurses. When speaking to one, I've just said "Nurse" and so far nobody has slapped me down.

Always remember that HOW you address someone (in my case, pleasantly and politely) is just as important as their exact title.

• 4 weeks ago

nurse practitioners are not doctors, any more than a sergeant major is a major.  I would expect the NP to accept being called "nurse" for lack of a better but equally short term.  Strictly speaking, I suppose "Nurse Practitioner" would be the most accurate, but that sure is a mouthful for little purpose.  Only a pedant would complain about the NP being shortened to nurse.  But I am sure you can find someone that will be bothered by it.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

The professional title is Nurse Practitioner (NP). I see them regularly, for minor or continuing care.

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

UK Answer.  Never heard of it.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • John P
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

I am also in the UK, so I too ask: What is an ARNP?  Never assume that everybody all over the world knows the meaning of every set of initials.

I might guess at: Auxiliary Residential Nursing Paramedic, but I am probably wrong.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.