Will my new fridge fit?

Changing the fridge, removing the filler so the new width will be exactly 36. Can we put a fridge that is 35.91 in. in that space? I am afraid the fridge may not have exactly the specified dimensions. The fridge is a Samsung model if that makes a difference. 

We have enough space above for the ventilation so that should not be an issue. 

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

did you try turning it off and on again?

• 3 weeks ago

You really need to have the installer come and check to see if the space is large enough. You will need a good 4-6" in the BACK of the unit--and the top needs to be clear enough, but not completely--fridges don't usually need TOP clearance. 

Try removing your baseboards if the space is too small. Lot's of people measure the WALLS--but not at the baseboards. Baseboards can subtract an inch or more to the measurement of the space. Make sure you are measuring THERE--not above them. 

• 3 weeks ago

If the specs for the new refrigerator say 35.91". It WILL physically fit into a space 35.91". The tolerances are that number or SMALLER for the unit.

That said, MOST refrigerators vent out the BACK, not the top. You could have 12' of unobstructed space above the unit, and ZERO ventilation.

If your unit requires side ventilation, it REQUIRES side ventilation.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Nope.  You do not measure to 1/10 of an inch. Fridge is 36. Opening better be bigger(because the outside of the fridge has a couple coats of paint on it.

. My fridge is 30" my opening is 32 so that allows for side air flow behind it.

. Get a 34" fridge.  You will adjust.

Ventilation has to come in from the side and go out the top.

. You may think 2" gap is a big gap...it is funny how quickly it gets filled up with temporary holding of grocery bags and other fridge related stuff and some not related at all.

. Or make the opening BIGGER. A Carpenter can do it... or you BOUGHT TOO BIG OF A FRIDGE.  iF IT IS STILL UNUSED YOU CAN SWAP IT DOWNSIZED because that is your space.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Edwena
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Nope.  Don't do it.  For one reason, your wall is not that straight.  The refrigerator book gives you a minimum distance of several inches for circulation of air flow, etc.  You might also look at your baseboard sticking out from where you measured.  Counter overhang.

• 3 weeks ago

and what does Samsung say about required clearance?  Every installation I've ever seen always specifies at least 1/2 inch clearance on both sides, even with overhead ventilation.  Trim pieces are installed after the fridge is in place to make it look like it fits the space perfectly.  If you have such trim pieces, remove them and measure again.  If you don't -- i suggest getting a different refrigerator ... one that is at most 35 inches wide.  -- grampa

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

It should have the specified dimensions. Suggest you try and find a showroom and take your tape measure. The other thing to check is that the door swings within the width, as even a hair over is going to give you grief. 

• keerok
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

My guess is it won't go in.

• 3 weeks ago

I wouldn't want to be trying that.  All it takes is a minor variation in width to under the nominal (measured) size at any point in the enclosure to make it impossible.  Even if the width remains exactly 36 inches, getting that fridge in will require an absolutely straight push inward.  You will have lots of stoppage when trying to get it in, if you can succeed.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.