K G asked in SportsGolf · 2 months ago

If you had to choose between a used iron set of Callaway rogues for $300 or Mizuno JPX-825 for $220 which would you choose and why?

I shouldn't add a price because $80 difference for a set of irons isn't that much, but which would you choose and why? I am a beginner/intermediate once every other weekend golfer

• 4 days ago

There should be a priority of factors when choosing clubs.  Mine is Feel, Price, then Looks.  Swing the clubs and find out which ones feel best.  The ones that feel best generally translates into better rounds.  Either way, at some point, your feel will change with the clubs and you may start looking for another set.

Go with Calloway.  If you went to Japan you might see one player using Japanese clubs.

• Knowing both manufacturers I'd opt for Mizuno clubs.  I currently have a bag full of Titleist clubs but if Titleist stopped making irons I'd take a hard look at Mizuno.

Mizuno is the best iron.   I have used and played with it.   Good feel and forgiveness.   Some model from Mizuno are made in Japan.    Tmag, Callie and Titleist are made outside America.  

And The price of a preowned iron set is based on the condition.   Rusty iron compared to a "slightly used" iron set can be a $200 difference.   Pick one that fits your handicap.

@cathy the ones on the left are jpx825s, the right one is a rogue. They are both used sets. The rogue used set is from a authorized callaway dealer. I may snag both and sell the ones I don't like. One of my friends is a golf teacher and he swears by mizunos though, he said they are better. Hopefully someone who has tried both could tell me

paying $399-800 for irons that cost $36 to make is why these companies are rich , hype a product bought cheap in china or elsewhere put in a mark-up in the region of 2000% and watch the mugs buy, works for apple too

Those are the Calloway Rogue, set? If they pass inspection with no obvious damage, I'd be inclined to get them. They retail for $800 and are pretty consistently among the highest rated clubs for customer satisfaction. These are well-made, high-end clubs, and if condition isn't an issue, definitely worth the extra money over a set that retails in the $200-300 range., even though I'm not all that familiar with the Manuzo brand, I'm not been one of the lucky ones that gets away with trying to be cheap.