Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsHorses · 2 months ago

if u get a vet out to your farm are they expensive?

My vet charges $70 for a farm call.   Of course that doesn't include what they do when they get there.   Most of my horse vet calls have been in the $300 to $700 range. 

It can be, but it is worth it if the animal requires medical care and you are unable to transport them to the clinic. It is always a good idea to keep a good relationship with your vet in the event you need to make payments.

yes, very pricey and expensive. 

• *****

Depends what you have them out to do, how far from their practice you are located, and what species they are treating. Large animal vets are generally much less expensive than small animal vets. Good ranchers know calling the vet out is cheaper than losing an animal and don't balk at getting the vet out promptly when an animal needs veterinary care. 

You can expect to pay a farm call fee plus for the specific services rendered. For routine scheduled issues (vaccinations, etc), going in with a neighbor or two will often result in a lower farm call fee since they can take care of multiple appointments in the same area at once. 

This depends on so many things, not least your definition of "expensive."

Area is another variable.  Where I now live, if I get the local vets, they'll charge an arm and a leg.  If I get a track vet to come, they'll charge less than a quarter what the local vet charges.  Where I recently moved from, the local and track vets charged about the same.

I think in most areas vets make less than they're worth.  Remember, they have the same four years of medical school that doctors have, learning about all animal species vs. the one human doctors study.  They have the same college bills to pay back - currently averaging $167,534.89 and over 20% have at least $200,000 in debt.

Doctors' average salaries are more than double veterinarians'.

And of course, you have to consider what you'll lose if you DON'T get the vet out.  How much is your horse (etc.) worth to you?  How much more will you pay if you wait?

If you think you need a vet, get one out.  If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a horse.

Yes!

BUT, the losses to large livestock will be, in the long run, more expensive.

It is usually worth the expenses to maintain any livestock for profit.

[The days of a vet carrying chalk and a .38 are long past in most areas.)

• Raven

Ask a nearby vet their rates.

I don't have an answer for particularly that situation but vets generally aren't cheap so you get insurance. If you have a cat then maybe you could do without insurance and just pay when a problem arises but if it's a farm animal or even a large dog then I would suggest insurance.