Anonymous

How do introverts get out of poverty?

My family thinks I have autism, 

but to me, I'm just introverted. 

I work at a slower pace than 

most people, and it's hard for 

me to work more than 30 hours/week. 

In short, I don't handle stress

very well since I'm too sensitive.

To make matters worse, I'm 

stuck in Los Angeles, where 

you need $60,000 or more to 

enter middle-class. Even 

studio-apartments cost $1,500/month. 

____

Here are the best jobs I could think of: 

- Remote Customer-Service Representative

- Remote Medical-Coding

- Online freelance tarot-card reading

- Math-tutoring: needs Bachelor's degree for part-time work

- Library-Technician

- Adult ESL-Teacher

- Barista at Coffee-Bean

- Cashier at Petco

- Floral-Designer (or Florist) 

Get out of LA. None of those jobs are going to get you into the middle class. Go find yourself somewhere else. Once established in a career where somewhere is slower paced, maybe you can return to LA and command a higher wage or learned to handle a faster pace. LA is a deadend for an introvert with no skills and experience. So get that somewhere else.

• Lili

There are plenty of GOOD careers (the ones you list are not) that don't require an extroverted personality. Among them, are accountancy, librarianship, information technology, scientific research in a wide variety of fields, tax and estate law, museum curator....

I could go on.  Even factory work doesn't demand extroversion.

Most good careers are going to require education -- a bachelor's degree at least and maybe a graduate degree. However, it seems to me that what YOU need is therapy to deal with your obvious and many issues.  And you need to get over the idea that you can work slowly and for only 30 hours a week and make decent money.  You can't.

You have a very unrealistic understanding of life and the world of work. That's something therapy can help you with.

Being introverted doesn't mean you can't make money, Bill Gates and Steve Wozniak were both considered introverts, but became very wealthy.

"I work at a slower pace than

most people, and it's hard for

me to work more than 30 hours/week."

That's something that you're going to have to get over if you want to eek out a living for yourself.

"In short, I don't handle stress

very well since I'm too sensitive. "

Identify when to take something personally and when not to. If someone complains about something you're doing or not doing, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's totally your fault, particularly if you're following the directions that someone else told you to do. One of the most frustrating aspects of my job is that I get directives from one department but when it comes to execution the administrators in the building I'm at often demand that I do the exact opposite of the directives. When the department heads find out that we're not doing what he/she instructed, they want to know why. I've learned that in these situations, there's no winning, and nothing I do will make both parties happy. So I just let then deal with it themselves. You just have to accept that there are scenarios where you're going to take criticism and it won't be your fault. Don't let these situations bother you. 

"To make matters worse, I'm

stuck in Los Angeles, where

you need $60,000 or more to

enter middle-class. Even

studio-apartments cost $1,500/month. "

You need to do some math. How much would you have to spend to relocate to cheaper area?  What's the overall difference between a month of living in L.A. and month living somewhere cheaper.  I'd be willing to bet the difference is a few months, probably less than 6 months (assuming you have a job). Of course the prospects of employment in a smaller town in a different state could very well be worse, and the jobs elsewhere probably wouldn't pay as well, even for the same work. So it could end up being a case of "six of one, a half dozen of the other".

"Here are the best jobs I could think of:

- Remote Medical-Coding

- Online freelance tarot-card reading

- Library-Technician

- Adult ESL-Teacher

- Barista at Coffee-Bean

- Cashier at Petco

- Floral-Designer (or Florist) 

Few of those are middle-class jobs. And none provide much in the way of advancement to the point where you would make $60k+ a year

Just try to get as much welfare as you can and get on food stamps.

Study careers that don't need that much social skills. Once you find one you like, learn about how you can qualify for that job. Adult education could come in handy before deciding to apply to college if necessary. Take the SAT test to see if you would be a good fit.