Asep
Asep asked in HealthDental · 1 month ago

Are you supposed to recover after wisdom tooth extraction ?

I got mine extracted today and they told my mom that it will take an hour. They made me stay an extra hour in the room because I needed to “recover” does that make sense? 

Depends on the anesthetic used, and how it seems to be affecting you. Most people shouldn't drive after a major dental operation (extraction is not usually major) for at least a couple of hours, and staying relatively still is recommended.

But it does seem a little strange, if your mum was with you at the time.

Yes, it does make sense. I had two wisdom teeth extracted in one appointment and I had to wait for about five minutes from the effects of anathestics but I am a mature adult. I guess adults can recuperate or recover quickly than young people.

• Sky

Only if you got a total anesthetic, or some other kind of medication that makes your brain loopy.  If all you got was local anesthetic to numb the mouth then there shouldn't be any additional recovery time before leaving the office.  So no, that doesn't make sense.  I've had all my wisdom teeth out in two separate extractions and they never had me stay longer to "recover".

• Etta

I got gum numbed and wisdom teeth removed and back to work an hour later, as for you recovering did you get an anesthetic and is there someone there to take you home and be with you for 24 hours after anesthetic. Ask them why you need to stay longer

What sort of anaesthetic was it they used?  People have different experiences of general anaesthetics, some recover quicker than others

The "recovery" time is so that they can make sure that you don't have a bad reaction to the drugs they used on  you while doing the procedure.

That "recovery" time if COMMON to many various procedures that involve the use of certain anesthetics.  

So - are you supposed to do that - YES - it is very common.  

i would hope so

• Sandy

Yes it makes sense. It might not be something they do for every patient but it wouldn't be uncommon.

Source(s): Dental (orthodontic) assistant with over 35 years of experience.