When do newborns get “easier”?

My baby screams and cries every waking hour, she is 3 weeks old and the last week has started fussing at the breast.

She is putting in weight very good and her check ups are totally normal but she squirms, cries, grunts and screams if she’s not feeding or sleeping. She sleeps a couple of good naps a day maybe 2 hours but she seems very unsettled all the time even when she’s had a huge feed.

Last week she has started sucking for 2 minutes and then spits out the nipple and starts crying. Then she’ll aggressively root for the nipple again but then just spit it out again crying. Any thoughts? 

Did things get better for you after 6 weeks? When does it get easier if at all? 

6 Answers

Relevance
  • drip
    Lv 7
    1 week ago

Not normal. Call the doctor. Babies are not crying all the time when they are awake

Also you can get help on nursing from La Leache League

• L
    Lv 5
    1 week ago

Do you BURP her every 15-20 minutes while nursing?  A newborn MUST be burped or they will continue to fuss and squirm.

• 2 weeks ago

She may have colic, which causes gas and makes them uncomfortable. They tend to fuss and squirm and make faces because they are in pain. It's something they outgrow. I can't remember if they outgrow it by the six-week mark or the three-month mark. My daughter had colic and then one day she was fine and happy because she'd reached that magic mark. Changing your diet might help. I eliminated onions, garlic, coffee, carbonated drinks and dairy, which helped.

• 2 weeks ago

It's not normal for a newborn to cry whenever she is awake - really not normal. What does her doctor say?

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Embery
    Lv 4
    2 weeks ago

When you have beaten them regularly enough that they know the score.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

hopefully soon, talk to the pediatrician about it

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.