Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 2 weeks ago

Can reading on a kindle be as enjoyable as reading a physical book?

• L
    1 week ago

NO.  Books do not run on batteries nor be plugged in to read them.  A physical book is 100% better than anything else.

• Rumple

Of course it can.  Reading is reading.  I have 706 books on my Kindle.  Trying to take 706 books on the plane as carry on luggage is certainly not enjoyable. 

Maybe you don't know somebody asks this question about every six weeks.

When you're about to type a question it's a good idea to pause for a minute and look at "Frequently asked questions" to see if it's been asked before.

BTW: the answer, as anyone would expect is "Some think so and some don't".

• drip

Yes. I still use my original kindle.  It is easy to hold and flip the pages with one hand. Easy on my eyes. Getting older now and it is very nice to be able to enlarge the text. I can read in bed without my glasses on. 

If travelling a Kindle is ideal. I used to have to lug a suitcase full of books for a holiday, now I don't. But for a cosy book-lined study, kindles don't cut it.

I prefer a Kindle. It’s easy to hold, and you can change the typeface, text size, line spacing, and background.

• chorle

Yes if the content is good.  I admit that some of it is preference, I prefer audio books but I have liked eComic books as well as deadtree comics and I didn't need to turn on a light to read them from my computer tablet. (especially if I could pinch out the jokes writtenin between panels)

• Marli

I agree with Speed that it is an individual preference.

I usually read novels on my Kindle. They are straight line, chapter by chapter odysseys, so little, if any, need to search backward.

Nonfiction involves flipping back and forth, so I prefer reading them on paper, and I have to use a computer screen to read maps and family trees on Kindle. Cookbooks and yarn patterns are also less eye straining when in an 8 x 10 or 11 x 17 book. 

I have purchased the Kindle copies of books I want to own because libraries tend to weed out the books I like, and space limitations forbid me to buy them in paper until I weed out my stacks. [Shudder. At my weeding rate, I will have to buy my own nursing home when I need care.]

• a kindle can never replace the magic of having real printed books you enjoy reading.

• Speed

While I like the convenience of digital books, on a Kindle or other device, I continue to prefer a print book.

It's very much an individual preference, of course.