Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 week ago

Would you argue that America is a post-religious society, or at least a society mostly religious only in name not really so much in practice?

Even the Republican President seems to barely care about religion personally...

• 4 days ago

anyone who follows blindly is what you have described in your question.  It is not ok for you but it is ok for me because I just have to go to confession and all is forgiven, give me a break.

5 days ago

Technology and "Mammon" is more important to most Americans than spiritual concerns I'd say.... Probably one reason why the environment is considered a fringe issue by a lot of Americans and all these species are now going extinct with catastrophic climate change and so forth. The native Americans revered naure and worshiped the "spirit-that-moves-in-all-things"  and felt this spirit in the wind, the rocks, trees, lightning, rain, chirping of crickets and everything having to do with nature. If you said you believed in such a pervasive nature spirit in a psychiatrist's office, he'd probably give you a prescription for an anti- psychotic. 

• 6 days ago

It is both more secular and religiously pluralistic. That may seem contradictory, but I live in an area with a large Muslim and some Buddhist populations. I also see the soccer fields packed on Saturday and Sunday mornings with kids and parents (yes, even during the pandemic). They ain't part of a church league. 

• 6 days ago

Obama was right about one thing...this is no longer a truly Christian nation. People like to think it is, but if they're honest with themselves they will not really believe that. We've taken prayer out of schools, removed the Ten Commandments, get offended at "Merry Christmas," and close the churches during the pandemic like God can just be tossed aside and doesn't matter.

So I agree, we were once a Christian Nation, but now, we are a post-religious secular society.

• para
    1 week ago

america is a fully religious society that worships hermes (the god of thieves) above all others

• 1 week ago

I would say the latter is more true. 

• 1 week ago

In a country with 330 million people you can say almost anything and find enough people to prove you are both correct and wrong.  There is a sizable number of very religious Americans.  I live in a community where I can any day see Moslems in full religious garb, Orthodox Jews in full religious garb, Christians who attend and pray in church daily, and plenty of people who admit to no religion at all.

The President is compulsive about violating the commandment against bearing false witness.

1 week ago

Just because you vote for Trump does not mean you are a religious maniac he is only catering to these losers for the vote many republicans and right wingers are not religious they care about their people and nation and a good economy. You do not need faith family and football to be republican or a patriot for that. So get over it and grow up!

• Prince
    1 week ago

No I would argue that America is a pre- religious society that has not YET begun to feel its soul. It's a young country and has had a rude beginning.

• 1 week ago

No, but the media would want you to believe that. Politicians may be irreligious, but the people still believe.